Northwestern University Physics Instrumentation and Fabrication Facilities
High Frequency Measurement Instrumentation
A new National Science Foundation Major Research Instrumentation (MRI-R2) grant enabled the purchase of five major pieces of equipment:
- Agilent E8267D PSG vector signal generator, 250 kHz to 20 GHz
- Agilent DSO91204A Infiniium 12 GHz oscilloscope
- Agilent N5230C PNA-L 10 MHz-50 GHz Network analyzer
- Agilent E8257D PSG analog signal generator, 250 kHz-50 GHz
- Agilent N9030A PXA Signal Analyzer, 3 Hz - 44 GHz
In addition to these major pieces of equipment, we also have a number of microwave components and low noise amplifiers.
The equipment will be housed in Tech FG19, but is portable for experiments that need to be performed in other laboratories.
Equipment will need to be booked in advance, and signed out.
For further information, please contact Sam Davis.
Electron beam lithography
A Tescan MIRA Field emission scanning electron microscope has been adapted for use as an electron beam writer. This instrument has been used to make complex, multilevel nanostructures with features down to 25 nm and alignment between levels of better than 10 nm.
For further information, contact Sam Davis.
Available deposition equipment includes
- Diffusion pumped e-gun evaporator equipped with a 3 kW Telemark 5 pocket linear e-gun. The base pressure of this instrument is 3-5 x 10^-7 T, and it can be used to evaporate Au, Cu, Al, Ti, Fe, Ni, NiFe and other materials (contact Sam Davis).
- Diffusion pumped Denton 6 kW e-gun evaporator with a 4 pocket e-gun. Base pressure is 1 x 10^-6, and typical metals evaporated are Au, Ti, Fe, Ni and NiFe (contact Varada Bal).
- Diffusion pumped Edwards thermal evaporator with a base pressure of 7 x 10^-7, used only for ultra-pure Au, Cu and Al (contact Sam Davis).
- Park XE-150 Multimode scanning probe microscope (contact Varada Bal).
- Tescan scanning electron microscope (see above).
Oxygen and argon plasma etchers (contact Scott Mayle )
Kulicke and Soffa wire bonder (contact Tanuj Gupta)